11.03.2008

Liberation in the Likeness of Christ


“Now the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.”
2 Cor. 3:17 NKJV

When I asked Jesus to take my heart a mission was given to me. When I accepted God’s free gift of salvation, I made a promise both to myself and to my Creator that I would strive to be Christ like. This is perhaps the biggest goal one could ever undertake. After all, we can never become a tried and true likeness of our perfect Savior.

As I pondered this, I asked myself “What is it that I do in order to be more Christ like?” I realized, many times I’ve tried so hard to analyze everything that I think and do to the point where I absolutely drive myself crazy trying to make the right decisions. How many times have I tried to pray eloquently or read things that don’t bring me any kind of satisfaction or joy just because I’m trying with everything that is in my being to be like my Creator?

How does this reflect liberty or freedom? How can it be called that when I feel like I’m suffocating under a blanket of self created paradigms? The answer came to me once again with the visual of casting myself into the swelling waves of the ocean. If I simply surrender to my Savior’s loving touch…if I would just let him tenderly take my hand, would I find it so difficult to follow in his way? Wouldn’t my kindred relationship with Him transform me into the vessel that He needs me to be in order for His light to shine through me? I always find that the days when I take the most time to pray and build my relationship with God, my spirit is lifted even more than I think it will be.

It makes sense, since God is my conscience, that when my relationship with Him is flourishing, so is my goal to be more like Him. I, in my simple human form, cannot possibly achieve a likeness to Christ…but who better to form a likeness to Him than Christ Himself? All I have to do is keep a watchful eye on myself to make sure that I always see Jesus’ smiling face.

The only way I can ever be the brilliant essence of Christ that I need to be in order to live for His glory is to strive for this kind of sweet surrender. Only then will I be the shining light that God intended me to be when he offered His life for my sake. Only then can I experience true freedom.

13 comments. :

Lynnette Kraft said...

What a wonderful visual of liberty in Christ. It is HIM that liberates not us. Isn't it interesting that we think we have so much power and we try SO hard? Yet, it's easy (in concept), just trust the ONE who gave us that freedom - Jesus Christ...allow him to make us into vessels fit for his service.

Thanks for sharing today. I appreciate all the thought you put into this.

Love you my sweet daughter,
Momma

Ava Semerau said...

Welcome to IOW. What a beautiful post and message of our freedom in Christ. Thanks for sharing it. AVA

Denise said...

Welcome to IOW, I really enjoyed your post.

Karen said...

That was wonderful. All we need to do is keep our eyes on ourselves to make sure we are seeing Jesus. Self is what binds us, Jesus is the one who sets us free.

MiPa said...

I wish I had had a beginning of understanding surrender the way you describe it here when I was your age! Beautiful, insightful and challenging post. Bless you!

Betsy Markman said...

Wow, how wonderful to see that there are teens seeking to know the Lord and surrender to Him! How much heartache you'll be spared by continuing with Him!

God bless you!

Lexi said...

WOW such an awesome post Abigail!! You are such a powerful writer and go so deep into what our teen society overlooks!

THanks for sharing!

Lexi

Laurie Ann said...

"I always find that the days when I take the most time to pray and build my relationship with God, my spirit is lifted even more than I think it will be."

Oh, amen! This was a beautifully written piece. I long to be more like Him, and you've inspired me to go deeper still. God bless you for sharing your heart!

Esthermay said...

You are a good writer. I read once that a good writer has his/her reader realizing things they knew, but just didn't know they knew. (make sense?)

You did this... I had to read it twice. Great job.

WAY too many Christians try too hard to be christlike. It 'aint gonna' happen! It "happens" when we acknowledge our lostness and just accept the FREEDOM he offers!

Wonderfully said.

And Welcome to IOW! Please join us again. And again and again! I learn so much from my IOW friends!

Kindest Thoughts,
~esthermay

writingcanvas said...

Welcome Abigail to IOW! How nice to "meet" you. I like your mama very much and know how she delights in her children! :)

Thank you for sharing your testimony and your freedom in Jesus. Please join us again! :)

Christina said...

Abigail,
Wow, this post is so amazing! And so true, that if we just allow Jesus to take our hand, he will work wonders in our lives! You're a very vivid writer and the word choices you use just paint the pictures and details so clearly in my mind! Thank you for posting this, I really enjoy reading your blog!

Love in Christ,
Christina

Jill said...

Abigail,

I sat here and rejoiced reading your post. I'm so thankful God placed your Mom in my path so that now our families can share His love together!

What an awesome picture you painted for your readers. You are a very talented young lady and I praise God for the gifts He has given you to bless others with!

I am honored and humbled to know you!

What a treasure the heart of a woman who knows where she came from!

In His amazing grace,
Mrs. Samter

Caleb Howell said...

^_^

Post a Comment