12.09.2008

IT'S SNOWING!!!!!

I’m taking a break from my poetic antics today. The five year old inside of me has been unleashed with the help of the gorgeous snow blowing around my house in fancy clouds. Snow pulls me out of my thoughts and into the present moment. It brings a refreshing excitement for the day. At the first snow, my Christmas spirit always goes completely off the charts. The beautifully (and somewhat chaotically) decorated Christmas tree simply glows in my vision. The heart of the season bounces through me and gives me butterflies in my stomach.

This morning, when I woke up and saw the light dusting of snow on the ground and the ever growing amount that flew through the air, I literally jumped up and down and started laughing (of course, this was in the privacy of my bedroom where no one would be around to question my sanity). Snow is one of my favorite parts of the cold winter months. Curling up by a window where I can watch it fall with a cup of hot ginger tea and a book or virtual pen and paper (otherwise known as my laptop) always gives me this amazing feeling. It’s the same feeling that I had when I was little and curled up in my momma’s lap as she read me the Little House on the Prairie books or my personal favorite, “Miss Rumphius”, which we had affectionately re-titled “The Lupine Lady”.

Snow held such magic in my eyes when I was younger. It was as if the earth’s greatest beauty had unveiled itself. Sometimes, even if it’s not physically happening, you can feel your eyes sparkling with excitement and joy. When it snowed, I could always feel that—the thrill of something rare and amazing. The pure whiteness that covered my home encompassed my heart with its spritely life.

I hope as I grow older that feeling never goes away. As long as there is life to live, I hope that there is a twinkle of magic in my heart that shines ever brighter with the brilliance of the childlike excitement that I find in snow.

11 comments. :

Thankful Paul said...

Peace be with you

The Arthur Clan said...

I just wanted to stop by to thank you for visiting my blog today as part of BATW. It's been so much fun meeting so many of you from around the world!

I just have to say that I love your blog...you are so creatively talented and you are showcasing that talent beautifully.

God bless!

Jill said...

Abigail - you are such a rare gem!

I can tell you honestly that the snow has not ever gotten old to me. The cold yes, but not the snow! This winter we had our first snow earlier than we ever get in PA. I went out before the children and just took pictures as it softly, quietly and amazingly fell from the sky. It brings so much life to God's forgiveness, mercy and grace to me. It is a blanket of His love covering the earth in all of His majesty. I pray you never lose that twinkle and desire to jump up and down when the child in you comes alive due to the spledor of the season and gifts He brings!

I adore you and so thankful for your ever glowing heart!

Hugs,
Mrs. Samter

Desi said...

I love how you describe the snow. you are so right! I miss it..

Thanks for visiting me today!

Tracy P. said...

I feel that way until about the time we have a blizzard on the first day of spring. Right now, I still love it. ;-) Glad you came by to say hello today!

Mindy said...

I have an award for you over at my place =)

Christina said...

Abigail,
Wow! Yes, snow gets me all excited and ready for the Christmas season, and I love how it's such a great reminder of how God has washed us "white as snow!" Love you!

In Him,
Christina

nobody416 said...

YAY for snow!

I Tagged you over on my blog for the "Uber Amazing Blog" award.

Nichole said...

You're 15?!? No way! You sound so mature and not at all what I think of when I think of a 15 year old. You have a beautiful writing style :o)

Thank you for visiting my blog today, and for leaving me a comment :o)

Sharon said...

I just found your blog and I think you have a really cool design :-)

Laura said...

Abigail, I found as I grew older that the magic was re-invented through my children's eyes. It was and still is one of my greatest joys in parenting...to see their little eyes light up in wonder. Oh, it is precious and it brings the same feeling you described. I hope you always feel the magic of God's world and the people in it. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Post a Comment