3.17.2009

Living the Good Life



---

“And now I’m sunny with a high of 75, since You took my heavy heart and made it light! And it’s funny how you find you enjoy your life when you’re happy to be alive!”

Yesterday, I could totally relate to those lyrics from the Relient K song “High of 75”. The weather was so completely gorgeous, and my spirit was just soaring with contentment. As soon as we saw that the sun was shining, and that there was miraculously no wind, my family decided it would be a perfect day to go to the zoo…Well, apparently everyone else in Wichita thought so too. When we got there, there were about 200 people lined up by the gate. The giant parking lot was completely filled with SUV’s and minivans belonging to the thousands of soccer moms who had the exact same idea as we did on this beautiful day of spring break.

Of course, the kiddos would never allow us to just drive by the zoo and say it was too crowded—little boys just don’t accept things like that very willingly—so, instead we went to the Sedgwick County Park. They didn’t want to play on the playground because there were so many other little kids over there (little bros after their sister’s heart), so we found a fairly secluded area behind a HUGE tree where we spread out a blanket and ate a quick lunch. I’m sure you’ve all noticed already, but kids are so cute when they’re eating!



There was a long walking/biking trail through the park that we decided to walk down after we had finished…that was when the fun began.


Silas and Jonas are always secreting their energy in the most obnoxious ways possible. They’re total goofballs!



Harry tagged along calmly….



…I don't think I've ever seen him smile like this before!




We reached a certain point in the road where there was a tiny dirt path that led off to the right into the trees (it wasn’t even really a path, just some beaten down dirt). I don’t know how it happened, but suddenly without even talking about it, we were all headed right towards that side-path. We walked a little ways and…”WHOA!” We had reached the back end of the zoo. Hey, if you can’t get in, might as well take the backstage tour, right? We even heard people howling in an effort to get the wolves to reciprocate. It was hilarious! The boys thought they should be able to get in from here.

“I’m guessing that’s for the Elk.”



This is what our so called “path” looked like.


Unfortunately, we got back to the main road and realized that everyone had burrs in their shoes (except for me, because I was the only one not wearing flip flops.). So, everyone had to sit down for a while and dig the sticky things out of the soles of their shoes.

While everyone was preoccupied, Harrison decided to engross himself in his favorite activity—digging through purses.


Finally, we made it back to the car. Definitely a fun way to spend a beautiful day!

14 comments. :

Linda said...

Hi Abigail,
Goodness I wish we lived closer cuz I would like to tag along with you guys on your adventures sometime! (:>) It looked like fun.

I enjoyed the pictures.
Oh, about your blog post concerning your decorating style,...you are one "hip chick!" I liked your modern rooms!

When I took the test I was "Wine Country, Tuscan",...and a few different additions to that each time I took the quiz. But Tuscan was my Fav.
It was a fun test.

Love you,
Grams

Kyle Kraft said...

Thanks for posting this Ab. I had to work so I missed out, but you took me there in your blog. It blesses my heart to see you guys taking in the moments together! Love you! Pops.

Tanya said...

Enjoyed reading! Looks and sounds like you had a great day making memories!! :)

Lynnette Kraft said...

Wasn't that a fun day! The secret path was my favorite part! (burrs and all!)

Here's to many more days just like that!
Love you.
Momma

Sarah Robbins said...

I love going off the beaten path! Looks like you had a blast!

Sally-Ann said...

Our family tends to head off along the roads that are less travelled as well! I enjoyed your photos!!

Becca said...

Looks like a fabulous day! The pictures are so cute! What sweet brothers you have!

Oh, and I HATE BURRS!!!

Julie said...

Nothing better than spending a beautiful day outdoors with the family! Love the pics...especially Harrison digging through the purse! What does he think he's going to find in there?!?! LOL!

Patricia said...

A simply beautiful day spent with family. What more could you ask for? Loved your reporting of the day and the pictures.

"Lolli" said...

You bless my heart so much, beautiful one. Thank-you for loving your family well and enjoying those special moments with them. You are going to be an incredibly awesome Mom some day and i cannot wait to continue following your journey.

Blessings,

Lisa

Kristin said...

After seeing little Harrison digging through the purse on your Mom's blog the other day, I thought that was hilarious of you to post one of him on yours too! And his smile in that one photo....that is the most precious thing I've ever seen!!! He is just too cute!

I love that your family is always having adventures like this...it inspires me to go on my own adventures with my girls!

Thanks for sharing your day with us! I enjoyed it!!

CornFedMama said...

What a great day, and how cool is it that you got to go "backstage" at the zoo?

Karabeth said...

Isn't it great to finally be able to get outside for extended periods of time? Your outing sounds like fun! And we are a family that finds bike and/or walking trails to be almost as much fun as a trip to the zoo. It all depends on how flexible we are in our attitudes and whether or not we're willing to see the sights that the Lord had for us on that day.

Jamimania said...

*SMILE* What a great story, sounds like you all had fun in spite of the crowds at the zoo - sorry that plan fell through, but it looks like you improvised a great day anyway! :)Who knew that the back side of the zoo was at the park? fun. You made me chuckle with the photo of Harrison digging through yet another purse. That boy has an obsession! :) Does this concern your masculine father at all? ;) ha ha.

Post a Comment