6.01.2009

"The Affinity of Soul and Song"


Click here to learn how to participate in Monthly Monday Poetry.
---

This is not a new poem. I posted it several months ago, before I ever started Monthly Monday Poetry, but I had a really busy weekend, so I hope you'll enjoy the repost! :) I wanted to let you all know that Mr. Linky is currently down, so you'll have to link up in comments. Sorry for the inconvenience, and I hope you will still all participate and read each other's creative expressions!


A voice, a call,
Melancholy so sweet,
It haunts, it dances,
Tempting hearts to weep;
A life in a life
So sacred its touch
Power inbred
In explicit approach

Time held in space
In a beautiful face
A face filled with
Agony, love, or defeat;
Tears strewn on cheeks
A glimmer in eye
Hope, faith, passion,
Want, sympathy, pride.

Souls’ tendrils of sense
Weave through strings unseen.
Through sensation they glean
Sensitivity keen
Roots are entangled
A parasitic embrace;
The voice chokes
Under crushing strength
Souls take with thirst
What’s been theirs at length—
The song that at first
So gently rang,
Now much deeper
More solemn
The souls’ theme it sang.

At the mercy of minds’
Own tender state,
The notes resonate
They form jagged lines.
At last, perhaps
Though perilous the weight,
The voice that called sweetly
Has endured its due fate.
To live under rule of heart,
Soul, and spirit,
And grasp onto hope of
The life that clung to it.
---
Abigail Kraft 2009

11 comments. :

Linda said...

Good Monday Morning My Abigail Grace,

I loved this poem,...(again)tee-hee

You are so deep for one your age.
(...in 3 days it will be your 16th birthday,...grandma will have to let you grow up one of these days huh? ...You really are very mature and wise already).

I love your glasses and I am so glad that you aren't having the headaches anymore.

I need to go now and write a poem. If my mind draws a blank I might have to post one that I have already written too. ((smile))

Love you so much,
Grams

Kristin said...

I hope you have a great Birthday!!!

You always have such beautiful poems....I have no idea if I can think of anything to write today or not. I'll try!

Joye @ The Joyeful Journey said...

You have such a talent for poetry, Abigail. And your poems are always so COMPLETE. I like it when they have such a hopeful and definite ending. Maybe next month I can link up with a poem (I think this is SUCH a beautiful idea!)

Olivia said...

Hey girly!
Great poem again! I'll have to come back and really digest this again since I'm short on time now. I had to dig up something old too since I've been really busy. Hopefully this week we can "get together" ;). Just facebook me when you know.

So here's the link to my post and I really hope more people participate this month!

http://nobody416.wordpress.com/2009/06/01/justice/

Kaysie said...

Hey Abigail,
I LOVED this one! You are very talented and I really enjoy reading your work. Thanks for sharing with us!

I didn't manage to get a new poem up today, but I have one up right now that I posted a couple days ago.

God bless!
Kaysie

Lucy said...

Ooh, I have finally got round to participating! Click here for my post!

BrunetteKoala said...

Found you through Lucy's blog.

That is a beautiful poem Abigail. Thank you for sharing it.

Elizabeth J. said...

Lovely poem! Your blog design is fantastic. Feel free to drop by my blog.

Kylie said...

Hi Abigail,

I just commented on your last post, but I saw from Olivia's twitter that it is your birthday today! So I wanted to wish you a happy birthday. I hope this year is blessed.

Without further ado, happy birthday!!! (from a complete stranger)

:D

In His Love,
~Kylie

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Great poem....Enjoyed reading your blog today. I am still finding my way around blogland....I always love making new friends..I am posting about Disney so hope you will stop by. Commenting automatically puts you in the drawing for the June giveaway.

Raye Ann said...

I love it. Such a beautiful poem. You and your grandma have inspired me. I am going to try my hand at a poem for July.

Blessings

Post a Comment