12.08.2009

Decking the Halls & Fun Christmas Traditions

Well what do you know...I got my sleeping quarters and my blogging quarters decorated on the same day! ^_^ I decided that this year I wouldn't do the Charlie Brown display--you know what that looks like...lights hanging from the ceiling on long strips of tape, beads strewn here and there, etc. Nope...I've done that a bunch of times, and this year I decided I would try to decorate a tree for the $15 that I had. Thank goodness for Dollar Tree!

We have an old 5 foot tree that my family used when I was a baby. It's got a lot of quirks (for instance, it stands slightly tilted), but I rigged it to stand fairly sure of itself. I bought several packs of red, green, and gold ornaments at the Dollar Tree, and then went to Wal Mart for a pack of 400 lights (because who wants those cheapo lights that don't last more than a week?). In the end, I spent $16 on everything, and I think it turned out so well! I love it.





I decided to put my shoes underneath it...makes it "me".



Now, my mom is doing a link up on her blog of Christmas traditions. Of course, she mentioned a bunch of the ones that we practice as a family, but I'll just mention a few more here.

We stay at home

- I think we can all agree that Christmas is absolutely best when spent in a familiar and comfortable place...so, when we can, we don't leave home on Christmas day.

Read the Christmas story

- Jesus is the reason we celebrate Christmas, and it's so beautiful to be able to share that with my younger siblings as they're getting older!

Looking at Christmas Lights

- Every year, my family picks one day to hop into the van together--maybe with a tub of caramel corn or some other holiday treat--We listen to Christmas music, and drive around looking at various and beautiful Christmas displays.

Reminisce about past gifts

- Jared and I do this more than anybody. We'll dig through his media shelf and pull out random things that Mom's gotten for us in the past. It's traditions like this that make things like Ratatouille (mine ^_^), The Office, & Shrek Christmas classics.

Watch classic Christmas movies

- Mom mentioned this, but there have been a couple of recent additions to our Christmas movie list that are definitely worth mentioning. We love Shrek the Halls, and Merry Madagascar! All of that cheeky animated movie humor is just completely awesome. And Veggie Tales shall rule forever.

Oh! Guess what...it's finally snowing! It started this morning, but it's going again now. I'm hoping it'll get deep enough to get some pretty pictures. :)

Welp...that's all for now I think. Lahaaaater peeps!

Isaiah 9:6b

His Name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The Mighty God, The Everlasting Father, The Prince Of Peace.

11 comments. :

Lynnette Kraft said...

Christmas, Christmas time is here! Time for joy and time for cheer! La la la la la la la la la la la la la

Very cute post - and tennis shoes under the tree is TOTALLY YOU! ha!

Enjoying the Christmas season with you - from the same house even!

Much love,
Momma

Lexi said...

Hey Abigail!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE your new blog design!!! It is SOOO PRETTY!!

haha how cute is your little tree? and the chucks make it so much more awesome! =D

Yup, I am decorating my room too...but not for Christmas. Its all for my sister LILLY who is coming home in 4 weeks! *screams*

we painted ALL day yesterday and we got done all of the primer. Now today, we need to actually paint the walls. lol

Love ya lots!!

Lexi

Marissa said...

Your room looks awesome! =) Me and my sister brought down all the christmas stuff yesterday so we can start decorating the house. We are trying to find stuff for our room too, because it's so small and two people share it... it makes it kinda hard. =)

Anyway. Awesome traditions! Oh man! I forgot to but Veggie Tales on mine! They totally rock!

I hope you get enough snow to get some pretty pictures! We are in the middle of a snow storm right now. I'd say there is at least 4-5 inches outside, but the wind is blowing about 50 mph so it don't make it very enjoyable when you almost get knocked over every time you go out. haha. ^_^

Have a great day!
Love ya!
--Marissa

Marissa said...

P.S putting your shoes under the tree is SOOO awesome! lol. Love you collection! ^_^

Kristin said...

You are too cute with your shoes under the tree!!! It turned out great. And speaking of awesome, your Christmas blog design is AWESOME!! I love the way you did the title and how it says "christmastime on 32nd street"! You're so creative! Enjoy the snow!!

Anna Gray said...

The tree looks awesome! It's better than the one in my room....my is about 1 ft high. LOL!

At our house, we watch Shrek the Halls and other Christmas specials too. The traditions you and your fam have sound like a ton of fun!


P.S. I take it you like converse?
:0)

Anna Gray said...

Oh, and above I meant to put 'mine is about 1 ft tall' not 'my is about 1 ft high.'

Bekah said...

The blog design is AWESOME! (The header is so cute, and I LOVE the fonts used. JaneAusten is the best of the best. ^^)

*laughs* Somehow I am not surprised that you would put your shoes under the tree. You're right...that IS so you! :) (By the way, the tree looks AWESOME!)

All of your Christmas traditions, we do too!! *laughs* Great minds think a like.
Love you,
Bekah

Hannah said...

Love the tree--the shoes under it just add to the effect. So you. :)

I love your traditions--Christmas is just so wonderful? Isn't it? *breathes in deeply* ah...

Love your blog look. Very christmasy, and yet, still you. ;)

Love you, & Blessings, :)

Hannah

Marissa said...

Okay that is just TOO funny our fonts are the same! haha! I actually changed mine before I can to see if you have finished your blog design... so I guess we did it at the same time? I don't know. haha. Thats funny though! It's defiantly an awesome font. I didn't even notice it was the same, I just thought "oh hey, her font is awesome!" lol. too funny.

love ya!
--Marissa

Kelly said...

Your tree is amazing! I love your shoes underneath..so cute. I enjoyed reading your perspective and your Mom's on your family's Christmas traditions. You have an awesomely fun family! :)

Post a Comment