12.10.2009

Don't just hum it...Live it...

Laughter...




Solemnity...




Random outbursts of awesome dance moves...




Isn't it amazing how music can prompt such a variety of responses? I was listening to Alexandre Desplat's brilliant score for New Moon the other day, and I was surprised to find myself--in the midst of doing my school--aching on the inside from the pure power of the music that reached my ears and moved straight to my heart. I've had experiences like this before...it just never ceases to amaze me how something as simple as a combination of instruments and ingenuity could produce such a moving product.

I've written several posts and poems about the power of music before...our affinity with it...our relation to it...and so on. What has been striking me as particularly interesting lately is how each melody is truly a reflection of a character--whether it be the person who created it, the story it is portraying, or a combination of the two, there's always a very definite sense of humanity in it.

I don't think this is just true for the works that elicit deep and passionate emotion--I think this is true for every aspect of music. The lighthearted, as well as the complex. Almost like the contrast between eye colors; one person might have crystal blue eyes while another has black--neither is more profound, but the wide spectrum of colors all connect to the soul in relatively the same way. It's beautiful.


“A melody is not merely something you can hum”
--Aaron Copland

10 comments. :

Marissa said...

This was pretty much an awesome post. I loved it. Mostly because I'm just a music geeky. =)
But It's so true, music can set a certain mood. It can portray a certain emotion and it can make you feel that emotion, like you said. It can make you want to just bust out in random dance moves because it's so joyful. Music is so complex, yet somehow simple. I think thats why we all love is so much.
Thats why I love to play music. =) Brings me joy.

All of what you said is SOOOO true. =D

That video of Harry was TOO cute! haha! It had me giggling. ^_^

love ya!
--Marissa

Kristin said...

Harry is adorable as usual.....I couldn't help but notice one of the boys in the background with a box on his head. LOL! I love Harry's hat in that picture too :D

I feel the same way about music. It is so amazing how it can touch the core of my being like nothing else can. I don't know what I would do without it!

Hannah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hannah said...

Ah, yes, its so true. "The eyes are the window to the soul" and it seems that the unspoken feeling which brings us to create--which is embedded in our souls and fills us--make can harness your soul and pour it into music. Haunting melodies that are the auditory manifestation of our souls. The eyes merely reflect it, but the music sings it.

Beautiful post. :)

Love & Blessings,

Hannah

Linda said...

Loved Harry getting in to The 12 Days of Christmas! (That's what it was right???)

You guys are the Music family...Music and Movies.

I love how you all express yourselves in assorted and various ways! Fun!

Hey...the mouse video was crazy! Jared saved the day! ((smile))

Love, Grandma

Bekah said...

Wow, great post. :) I totally agree. (Also, love the picture of you and your violin ^^)

Love you!
Bekah

Morgan said...

Could Harry be any more adorable?!

And I agree about music. It sets the mood, the tone - makes your soul be moved.

Is the New Moon score super good? I can't wait to get my hands on it!

Maddie said...

Great post! It's so intruiging the way certain music can stir emtions inside you. I was listening to this extremely interesting "Life of Bach" audio and I heard this cool story about him. He wrote this piece of music protraying the death of Christ and while he was writing it and hearing it in his head, somebody saw him sitting at his desk pale and shaking with tears streaming down his eyes because of the music he was making. Obviously deeply moved. Isn't that cool how God can speak to us in music like that? -Maddie

Linda said...

Abigail, your Christmas header is so pretty!

Hannah said...

There. Now, I am subscribing to your blog, as well as following. That way, if your posts don't show up on my dashboard, I'll still get notified. :)

Love you, & Blessings,

Hannah

Post a Comment