12.14.2009

Freedom in Self Control

But when the Holy Spirit controls our lives, he will produce this kind of fruit in us: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, and self-control. Here there is no conflict with the law.
Galatians 5:22-23
Sometimes I feel like spontaneity is my greatest ally. Somehow just doing something is refreshing--rather than planning it out, poking around, procrastinating, re-planning it, and then changing my mind altogether about it in the end. Isn't that just an unneeded hassle in life?

I can honestly say, at this very moment I feel more at peace than I have in months. I don't have anything nagging at the strings in the back of my mind, I don't have anything weighing on my conscience, and I'm not stressed out. And you know what's happened because of it? I'm more efficient, I'm more fun, I think clearer, I'm more creative, I'm more motivated, I feel more in tune with my family, and I don't always feel distracted. What an amazing feeling that is!

I went out with my momma this evening...we went to see "Julie & Julia". I realized why I was watching it just how lucky I am to have a mom who has encouraged me to always simplify rather than over-complicate. I mean, how many moms would be able to spur of the moment jump in the car and go see a movie? And if we weren't doing that, we probably would have been sitting at the dining room table laughing our way through a game of Boggle. It's people like my mom that keep this world alive. New York City would just be another busy, grumbling metropolis; Kansas would be another brown, boring spread of flatlands; and the list goes on, if it wasn't for people like her who can keep the beauty of ordinary things alive.

And you know what...a richer life means more of this!



Life. is. Sweet.



So then, why do I try to over-do everything? One of the fruits of the spirit is self-control...and on my part, I think that's been fairly ignored. I've realized that I often make excuses for myself because "it's just my personality", but that's not a legitimate excuse. The only excuse for lack of self-control is not giving Christ all control. I go through these weird times where I think I can conquer the world; not surprisingly, that's always when I end up feeling the smallest. Because everything that I am...everything that I yearn to be...and everything that I need to be to achieve my goals is found in Christ.

11 comments. :

Lexi said...

SO TRUE! We try to be everything and do everything while God's standing there saying, "I'll do it and be it all for you".

I too love those spontanious moments of life. About a month ago, my mom and I found out about a concert at a church near our house with a popular Christian band playing. The concert started in half of an hour and we just jumped up and left. It was so awesome! =)

Harry is soooo adorable! Give that little cutie a squeeze!

Love and Blessings,

Lexi

Marissa said...

SOOOOO TRUE!!!!!!!!!
I am the same way. I tend to over-complicate instead of simplify. Which I've been trying to do {simplify} lately. Because stress isn't good. nopenopenope.
It's funny. I find that if I just act myself... I'm happier. weird...... haha.

I've defiantly done that with my mom. Just gone somewhere spur of the moment. fun times.

The whole conquer the world thing. Totally the same way. But then like you said I end up feeling the smallest because of CHRIST. Which is awesome I think.

loves this post. =)

Have a great day!
love ya!
--Marissa

Hannah said...

(I'll come back later to write a longer comment, but I have to get going)

What a true, very AWESOME post. Lately, I've been feeling the same way--once I have peace, everythings...good. Y'know. ;)

Love & Blessings (and longer comment later),

Hannah

Lynnette Kraft said...

I love you! I'm glad I ran out to that movie with you. It was really good wasn't it - but the best part was spending time with you. Too bad Cecily didn't want to come. She would have enjoyed it too huh? Maybe next time we'll make her go. :)

Love you so very much daughter of mine.

Momma

croleyc69 said...

What a great post and so very true. I enjoy your blog so much. Have a good day and {{HUGS}}
Caroline

Miji said...

Abigail,
thank you for your sweet post.
I so love reading your blog. (:

You are very blessed to have a Mama who encourages you to simplify your life and not get stressed out....you are very wise to recognize that and be thankful for it. (:

Peace is something my mother and I are both still working towards, but God has been doing great things and has been helping us to slowly let go of the stress. He is so faithful, and patient. (:

Love you dear and hope you're having a blessed, peaceful Monday....letting Jesus have complete control! ^_^

from under His wings...
Marijah

Catarina Ferreira said...

just love your blog!
just to let you know you have a Brazilian reader.
God bless!

Violeta said...

Hello from Romania ,
please read the blog – My heart His words – at archive blog please look at November - Humbled and Convicted-

, my friend Tammy Nischan wrote my and them the story and some pictures of some hungryes poors kids , what we try to help them for Christmas .Our LORD will be so proud of us if we will do something! Many kids dont have food ,or Christmas tree becouse theu are so poors ! I fight so much to help this kids but i cant alone ~ if anyoane wants to know much more or wish to help in anyway you can please let me know email me at :
My heart is open for everybody!
tibivio72@yahoo.com
I love you blog,
sweet blessings and MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Violeta

Linda said...

Abigail I liked this post and I do understand what you are saying.

I think my momma and I did fun things on the spur of the moment and then I did that with my girls and now your momma is doing it with you and you will someday do that with your kids! I still love to do things that way. ((smile))

Life is good! And the fruit of the Spirit is sweet!

Love, Grams

zbocaj said...

Well said Ms. Kraft.

Ben said...

Amen to this. I find this very true in my life more than I would like, and more than it should be. Great Post! Btw, this is Ben McCarthy(September McCarthy's son)in case you were wondering who this was, and I just started this blogging thing, and came across yours through my mom's.

Post a Comment