2.24.2010

Um....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GUESSWHATGUESSWHATGUESSWHAT!!!!!!!!!!!

I got a new violin!!!!



Isn't it just the most gorgeous and beautiful and wonderful thing in the whole entire world??? Well, ok...I will tell you...that reddish color is something that I could have done without, but the tone of the instrument is absolutely gorgeous! I'm so excited to see how well it performs as I improve! It's already a giant leap up from my last violin.

I must admit...as I dropped my violin off at the shop--left there to be repolished, and eventually picked up by someone else--I had a really really melancholy feeling. I mean, that violin has been with me through thick and thin. It was there for my first orchestra audition. It got me into first violins! I had that violin for 5 years...

...but now, I'm just absolutely, completely, and totally psyched to experiment with my new baby and learn more and more!

I took a video of myself playing today, just to examine my technique (some people use mirrors...I use a video recording)...and OH MY WORD! I need to work on my bowing technique sooooo badly, it's really not funny. My bow was all over the place--it's so weird how something as basic as a straight bow stroke can get completely out of hand when you're trying to focus on everything else!

So...that's the awesomeness in my life right now. I'm working on a new piece called "Allegro Brillante" by Ten Have right now. I'm really excited about it!

24 comments. :

crystal theresa said...

yes. your. violin. is. gorgeous.

i can't wait to hear the beautiful music you make with it! (hint, hint)

Sherrie said...

That is a gorgeous instrument. Congrats! My 16 yr old daughter has played Viola for about 6 yrs now. She loves it!

croleyc69 said...

It is nice and My daughter came home from school the other day and told me that's what she wants to play. She is in the second grade. I thought of you. :)
Caroline

Aryaman said...

Killer whale Full Story

A female whale trainer died this afternoon at SeaWorld’s Shamu Stadium in Orlando, Florida, with witnesses saying she was killed during a public "Killer Whale" show.

Click here to see full story of Killer Whale with pictures.
http://www.alaboola.com

Lexi said...

WOW! Thats so awesome Abs! Its a beautiful violin!

Hugs
Lexi

Josh said...

Ab, it looks great! I can only imagine your excitement over the new instrument... And, it is always inspiring to get that upgrade. Just kind of refreshing and gets you back on track!

I used to play the violin, well, I sort of taught myself how, and sometimes I miss it...

Have fun playing!
Josh

Hannah said...

AH!!!! That's SO awesome! Your violin looks great--BEAUTIFUL.

You gotta post a video of you playing it soon; all of us LOVE to listen to you. :)

Love you!
Hannah

Kristin said...

It's a beautiful thing to see you follow your passion, Abigail! Have fun with you new violin!!

Stephanie L.S. said...

Love it! I want a new violin, but I don't want to get rid of my old one!

miss m said...

that is SO exciting. It's so pretty-ful.

***Emily*** said...

*gasps* Your violin is so beatiful! I play the violin but I'm not very good.... but you on the other hand are great!

In Christ,
Emily

Marissa said...

Ah! How exciting! I know what you mean tho, the violin i had before I got my new one I'd had for about 4 years.... but this new one is 100% better. It's amazing. And I totally get the bow placement thing. I am working on mine right now too... it's gotten kinda out of hand.... lol.
You should post a video of you playing =) I wanna hear you!

love ya! and have fun wit your new baby!
--Marissa

September said...

Beaaauuutiful! As a fellow violinist, I can truly appreciate your new beauty! Congratulations.
Our Lydia is using my old violin,, I haven't played in years, and she is loving it.
I can't wait to hear you play your new piece you are working on.
I have never heard of that before, and I love the videos you attach to a post on your blog!

Rachel B said...

Love the violin! It's so pretty!! :)

My sister plays and I love listening to her play [though I'd never admit that to her face :P].

I hope the wonderful world of music opens the doors wider for you!

~Rachel

Kelly said...

your violin is beautiful!!! my hubs is a viloin teacher and i constantly hear him reminding his students..."straight wrist, bent thumb, bow near the bridge, etc." It's crazy how many things you have to keep up with while playing! :) Enjoy your new baby!!

Kyle Kraft said...

Yo Ab,

You just keep on sounding better and better! You've earned it!!!!

Love ya!

Pops.

Ben McCarthy said...

I don't know too much about violins, but that does pretty sweet. not gonna lie

Olivia said...

Awesome my dear!! I borrowed a $1,600 violin for a week this fall... I fell in love, but that's way out of our price range. My friend Micah has been loaned a $4,600 violin and so I am using his $500 one... which is still better then my violin! (Which is 40 years old and spent probably about 30 years in a closet. It probably needs a new bridge, finger board, and sound post.)

My bowing is so whack. :P

We had our orchestra concert tonight!!!! We figured tonight that it was our 8th and it's our 4th year since it was formed. We have come such a long way!! My dad will probably be putting some of the video on facebook in the next few days. We have a solo time during our concert and I did Phantom of the Opera and it really went well except it was a tad long. :-/ Hopefully he'll put that up on facebook soon too.

The violin is B.E.A.U.T.I.F.U.L and I'm sure you will have fun with it! Be sure to put a video on facebook in the next few weeks! (I do agree about the red though, not my favorite.)

Love you! (and sorry for the rambling. ;))

hannahlouise said...

She looks like a beauty violin!

Annie said...

I think bowing technique is something that takes a TON of practice. I've played violin for almost nine years and I still have trouble with it. But that's so cool that you got a new violin! I hope you enjoy it! :]

Annie

Brenda Coffee said...

I am so excited for you!! Awesome news:) My day has been filled with awesome news. Thank you, God:)
Brenda

Joni said...

Looks so very Bea-U-ti-FUL! Can't wait to hear it's tone... :)
Play on!

Näna said...

Oh! Gorgeous! Love the color! I can imagine you must be very excited.

I play the piano but... I am supposed to start violin soon! Yeah!

Just Breathe said...

It's beautiful. How wonderful that you play. I wish I would have had the desire when I was younger.

Post a Comment