4.05.2010

For The Story...

Throughout my life, I've always enjoyed reading. Picking up a book and entering a world entirely different or completely similar to your own is absolutely thrilling! I'm sure many of you can relate to that as well as you can probably relate to the eventual excuse of "I just have trouble finding time to read", when you're trying to come up with reasons why you haven't finished that promising book collecting dust on your nightstand.

Yes, I'm extremely guilty of this. There was a point when I simply couldn't read. It's as if I'd forgotten how. I could even sit down with a book in my hand, and it wouldn't be able to keep my attention. But guess what...I think I've finally pinpointed the reason!

Overthinking




When reading a book, you have to read it for the story. You don't have to analyze why the author used a certain word, or note how the pacing is--all of that fills itself in--the part that pulls you in and makes you want to keep reading is the story.

The experience has become so vibrant and exciting again since reading once again became just.....reading. Taking in the expression of another person, and not trying to read in between the lines. And I'm always surprised at how many of the little details I find myself easily filling in by just drinking in the colorful stories.

Off on another whirlwind adventure!

18 comments. :

Amber said...

How funny...I JUST finished a 15 book series tonight. I cried so much! I don't know if you've heard of it, The Christy Miller Series; anyway, reading has opened up a whole new world for me. Although, I have to admit, that it makes me kind of sad to know that it never happened, you know what I mean?

But I always got lost in my own thinking while reading. But now, I certainly know what you mean!!

Lindsay said...

I know exactly what you're talking about, Abigail! Sometimes I find myself overthinking the whole concept of reading too. When I do that, I feel like I have to read every sentence twice, and take in all the details before I can go on with the story. But really... when it gets to that point, reading is just no fun! When I find myself doing that, I have to stop and remind myself to just *read.* I know that sounds kinda vague, but it's true! I just have to read. And when I do that, I enjoy reading, and it becomes fun and exciting again... likes it's supposed to be. :)

Enjoy your new adventure!! ;)

♥ Love,
Lindsay

Hannah said...

I know exactly what you mean! Lately, reading hasn't been as enjoyable--and I couldn't figure out why. I'm guessing it's from school...having to figure out why so and so did this, and whether Victor Frankenstein displayed qualities of such and such, and yadda yadda.
I love reading, and I think that the overanalyzing has sucked some of that joy from it. I just have to put myself into a different mind-frame. School reading, and then READING reading. Or maybe just readin reading all the time. I seem to remember that everything felt more vibrant and all.

Oh, I love books. :-)

Love,
--Hannah

Hannah said...

Okay. I gotta say--reading is one of my absolute favorite things to do. And lately, it hasn't been as much sucking me into the story which leads it to be less (although still) enjoyable. It's from the analytical (love that word) part of me--I'm an odd mix of analytical and artisic (not to be all braggy or anything, like, "look at ME! I'm ARTIIIISTIC! AAAND ANALYTICAL! So I'm all SMART, righT?!" that's not at all what I mean...lol. ^_^)

I felt like my other comment made me seem like, "Oh, yeah, reading's not fun anymore, because of school and stuff, but if I read read, I'm good, like, y'know?" so yeah...again, not exactly what I meant.

I'm finding more often though that the trouble is finding a really good book. There are average books that are okay, but finding one that's really good...that's becoming a challenge. I'm gonna start reading the Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan...if I ever remember to request them. (We went to the library and they had the SECOND book there. THe SECOND. And my dad only has the last five or six. :P) Okay, rambling now. ;-)

Love,
--Hannah

Anna Gray said...

I wish I were more like you in that area! I zone out in a lot of books (not all of them, but a lot). Maybe my perspective on reading will change after reading this post (seriously, no joke!). =)

Rachel said...

First off...those pictures are SO ADORABLE. 100%. I love little boys in knit hats. I tend to look everywhere finding them. And dangerously, I've discovered Etsy. ACKK!

We are reading a family. Just thought I'd let you know that in case Hannah didn't make that too obvious. ;)

Again, another fabulous post!

Bekah said...

Harry is SO cute, it's insane. Just saying. :)(and the cap...I LOVE IT! :)

Ohmiword, I totally know what you mean--in fact I do it every time I read (when and if I read...). It's so insane, in the climax of such-and-such, I find myself stopping and asking, "Why the heck is THAT word used? He should have done THIS..."

Sometimes I even go and re-write the sentence as it should have been written--and don't allow myself to enjoy the STORY not the nitty-gritty sentence structure or grammar usuge and such.

The beauty of a book is in the STORY, right? ;)

This got me thinking...I have not written or free-read in forever outside of school...I don't even know why that is. I used to fantasy write every single day... and now I just don't. Same with reading. You would never find me without a book--and now...agh. Why is that?!

That is so odd. And disheartening.

So. You've inspired me. I'm going to go read a book--and enjoy it for what it is, not for what it's not (haha, I typed it: "for what it snot" at first. WHAAAT? ;). And I'm going to go write--for the first time in months.

You are very inspirational, Ab. Just thought I'd let you know. :)

Thanks for the awesome post. Rock on, girl. :)

Love you,

Bekah

Bekah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bekah said...

Ack, I clicked "publish" two times. I hate it when I do that! ;)

Love,
Bekah

carissa @ lowercase letters said...

you are so right!!! i always over-think things - especially while reading. and i've become so bad about reading books. after i finish my beth moore "daniel" study, i'm going to read "crazy love" by francis chan. it might take me forever though.

Näna said...

Oh, I so know what you mean, Ab. Reading is such a pleasure when you don't have to sit there and dissect every sentence. Especially with the Bible. Sometimes I get so caught up on one verse I completely loose the point of the whole chapter. I mean, I think it's good to look into the meaning of it and all, but when your obsessing over that you looses the joy of just, well, reading.

Marissa said...

I do that all the time! It takes the fun out of just enjoying the story. I will notice the little writing techniques the writer missed out on... especially starting sentences with "and" or "but". Its incredibly insane how much I analyze books. So I've been trying not to do that so much because like you said, it takes all the fun out of reading.

Awesome post. Cute pictures btw! Harry is SO adorable!!!!!

Love ya!
--Marissa

Marissa said...

I do that all the time! It takes the fun out of just enjoying the story. I will notice the little writing techniques the writer missed out on... especially starting sentences with "and" or "but". Its incredibly insane how much I analyze books. So I've been trying not to do that so much because like you said, it takes all the fun out of reading.

Awesome post. Cute pictures btw! Harry is SO adorable!!!!!

Love ya!
--Marissa

Linda said...

It sounds like your friends here have over thought things too...and will stop doing that and just get into the stories when they read now. See how inspiring you are Ab!

Even your Grandma does that from time to time. Sometimes I may not even totally understand things at first, but as I continue reading it all falls into place.

I love to read!

I hope you will enjoy your next book sweetie.

Love, Grandma Linda

Kate said...

Haha, great photos! I am guilty of over-thinking. Maybe it comes from reading too much nonfiction. I used to keep a notebook handy whenever I read, whether fiction or nonfiction, and jot down every single word I didn't know the definition of to look up later. After accumulating pages and pages of words, and spending all of my time looking them up instead of reading, I decided enough was enough and quit that practice! Now I enjoy reading again... = )
Blessings,
Kate

Cassie said...

Abigail,

I just awarded you on my blog!

http://insidecassiesmind.blogspot.com/2010/04/stylish-blogger-award.html

Love in Christ,
Cassie

Hannah said...

Write another post soon, Ab. Bloggers missing your spark. :-)

Love,
--Hannah

sanjeet said...

School reading, and then READING reading. Or maybe just readin reading all the time. I seem to remember that everything felt more vibrant and all.
post free classifieds

Post a Comment