4.02.2010

"Guess How Much I Love You..."

One of my fondest memories of childhood revolves around my momma and I leaning back on piles of pillows at the top of my bed--her voice softly reading all of my favorite stories to me. Through the years, a few have stuck with me as being incredibly special; "Miss Rumphius" (a.k.a. "The Lupine Lady"), "The Velveteen Rabbit", "The Pokey Little Puppy", and "Guess How Much I Love You".

As are most things that were used often by my mom in years past, there are now coffee stains covering the cardboard book, "Guess How Much I Love You", but it just brings the memories closer. I remember filling in the words of the baby bunny in the story, and assuming that the roles in the story were assigned to my momma and me accordingly (even though in the story it's a father and son). I'm reminded of these memories when I see Harrison cuddled up with Mom and a mountain of pillows, reciting lines from his favorite book "Bunny my Honey" over and over again.

The last page in the book says very plainly and sweetly...



Throughout the years, my mom and I have repeated this to each other. So, you can imagine how touched I was when I got this necklace in the mail from my friend, Rachael.


"I love you to the moon and back"...


Isn't it precious!? Every time I put it on, I get all sentimental about my momma. :) Thanks Rachael!

17 comments. :

Sarah Ann said...

So sweet... I loved the velveteen rabbit!

Lynnette Kraft said...

My little Abigail... I miss reading to you. But, you are still my sweetie and I love spending time doing different things with you now - like designing my blog and playing Boggle (even if you do always win!).

Made me sentimental too.
Smoochies.
Momma

Lindsay said...

Abigail, this was such a sweet post!! I love looking back on memories like that too... they're just priceless. And what a beautiful necklace! How thoughtful of your friend to send you that. :)

♥ Love,
Lindsay

croleyc69 said...

I love memories like that and I love this post. What beautiful necklace !!!
Caroline

Lexi said...

aww thats soo sweet Ab! That was my favorite book growing up too!!! =)

Näna said...

What a wonderful memory, Ab! I remember reading that book with my Mama. Good Night Moon was my favorite (Mom said that even though we have a copy every time we went to the library that is what I would pick out.)

Beautiful necklace, and so sweet of Rachael.

Hannah said...

Beautiful Ab--and how sweet of Rachael to send you that. This is such a beautiful post--and melancholy too (in a good way). I remember my mom reading I love you forever to us, and she would sing us to sleep with that.
I love you forever,
I like you for always,
As long as I'm living,
My Hannah you'll be


It makes me sad when I hear that, yet SO incredibly blessed. What precious memories I'll have forever. :-)

Beautiful post--gonna make me all misty.

Love,
--Hannah

Kathy C. said...

That's such a lovely memory...my son and I have a book like that (Love you Forever) and we still recite bits of it to eachother...even through text messages across the states. :)

Hannah said...

I had to come back...I felt like my comment wasn't significant enough. Ab, I just have to say, you have a beautiful and inspiring blog, and you've inspired and encouraged me in SO many ways. This post is beautiful and sentimental, and sweet, and nostalgic, and it was so sweet to read. Thanks for just being YOU--and being awesome at being that. ;-)

Keep on rocking, friend. :-)

Love,
--Hannah

Kendra Logan said...

My mom and I read all those books when I was little, too!!

~Kendra

Josh said...

Aww...My momma has read books like "Guess How much I Love You", "I love you forever", and others, and I get all sentimental thinking about the "good ol' days". Such wonderful memories don't you think?!

God Bless,
Josh

Kate said...

Dear Abigail,

in a way it is strange to come across a stranger's blog and see that they have made similar memories. My grandmother and I also have read each other this book. First she read it to me, now that she has a hard time reading I sometimes read it to her.

Blessings,
Kate

P.S.: I really enjoyed looking at your blog. I really love the way you designed it.

Chrissy said...

Great post, Abigail!

Rachel said...

Abigail,

Your post was so sweet. It brought a tear to my eye. To me, there are not many things as precious as reading to my children. In fact, I know that when I read to the little ones in our home that my olders still listen.

You're a gift to the blogging community.

Rachel

carissa @ lowercase letters said...

this is entirely sweet and precious! i love that book too! what a stunning post. you and your mama are too adorable.

carissa @ lowercase letters said...

i meant to say stunning necklace not post! but, it works for both! : )

Rachael. said...

Aw I just saw this! I'm so glad you love it! So many love this precious piece because it means so much to their memories!

Post a Comment