10.05.2011

I've Got Pumpkin, I Need a Recipe, & I Have a Recipe for You!

Pumpkin can get a little overwhelming. You stick "pumpkin" in front of anything (e.g. scones, pancakes, bread, cake, waffles, muffins... people, lamps, unicorns, etc. etc.) and it automatically makes it sounds incredible.

My predicament is found in the massive collection of pumpkin recipes that I've found. How in the world am I supposed to make just a few of these ridiculously good-looking recipes?! So, I need your help.

Would you, pretty please, share your favorite pumpkin recipe with me?

You can...
  • post it on your blog and give me the link in a comment
  • leave the recipe in a comment
    (tell me if you want me to delete it once I've got it saved somewhere - just in case you want exclusivity)
  • or you can email it to me
    (you can right click on the previous link and choose "copy email address" if the link doesn't work for you.)

Of course, whenever I make them, I'll post about them here, and send the love your way. :)

Now, I've got a recipe to share with you!




I don't know about you...but scones are a huge weakness of mine. Can't really get enough of them. Especially when they've got a thin, hard shell of icing on the outside.

Mmm.

So, the other day, I created a to-die-for pumpkin scone recipe, based off of my family's favorite chocolate chip tea scones.

(Do you pronounce "scone" as skōn or skän?)


We don't eat chocolate too often anymore, but these didn't need it. They were lightly sweet, just pumpkin-y enough, and filled with the beautiful essence of autumn... and yes, they had a lovely cinnamon glaze on top.

Pumpkin Spice Scones

3 C. Flour
1/4 C. Sugar
4 t. Baking Powder
1/2 t. Salt
1 t. Cinnamon
1/2 t. Nutmeg
1/2 t. Ginger
1/4 t. Cloves
1/2 C. Butter
3 Large Eggs
1/2 C. Pumpkin Puree (not pumpkin pie filling)

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Grease a large cookie sheet, or use an un-greased baking stone.

Mix together all dry ingredients, then using a pastry blender, two knives, or an electric mixer, cut in butter until course crumbles form. Beat the eggs in a small bowl with a wire whisk or fork, then add eggs and pumpkin to the dry ingredients and mix until just blended.

Remove dough from bowl and place on a floured surface. With lightly floured hands, shape dough into a round, until it's about 1 inch thick. Score the dough into 8 equal wedges, and bake for 20-25 minutes (until golden). Let sit for a few minutes, then glaze. Cool completely on a wire rack, then cut along score lines.

Cinnamon Glaze

Approx. 3 C. Powdered Sugar
Approx. 3-4 T. Milk
1/2 t. Vanilla
1/4 t. Cinnamon

Mix all ingredients together, adjusting amounts of powdered sugar and milk until it's a fairly thick, sticky consistency. While scones are still warm, spread glaze evenly on top.

Enjoy with a cup of your favorite roast of coffee!


Our only variation to that was that we used a biscuit cutter instead of scoring the dough and cutting it into wedges - if you do that, reduce the baking time to about half.



Hoping you like them as much as we did! Crazy delicious, they were. I'm looking forward to trying your pumpkin recipes! :)

P.S. I'm planning something exciting, here at Rear Window! Come back soon to find out what. :)